Announced last year, Google’s true wireless headphones, the next generation Pixel Buds, have just been released in the USA. They will be available soon in Europe. Here is our full Google Pixel Buds 2 Review of the new headphones from the American giant.
True wireless headphones are particularly fashionable and all the big names in technology have started using Apple and its AirPods or Sony and its WF-1000XM3, both considered as a reference. The search engine giant had already launched its first generation of Pixel Buds, but they suffered from faults and had never really succeeded in convincing. Mountain View business returns with a new version correcting the concerns of the first models. They have just been launched in the United States and we have been able to Review them. Product description and first impressions of these true wireless headphones.
Google Pixel Buds 2 available in the USA
It was during the 2019 Google I / O conference that the American giant presented the new version of its true wireless headphones. Six months later, the American firm therefore launches its new product with some discretion. It is not actually a new generation but indeed a fairly different new product. The Google Pixel Buds 2020 edition this time has no wires and is completely true wireless. Four colors are available. In addition to the classic and elegant white or black, there are also two more colorful models, one orange and another drawing on pale green.
2020 Google Pixel Buds fix first generation ergonomics and offer better quality in noisy environments. Microphones integrated in the headphones allow in particular to automatically adjust the volume according to the surrounding noise. Obviously, the headphones include Google Assistant which can be activated by voice. It takes $ 179 to get them but is only available for the moment in the United States since the end of April. No release date has been brought forward for Europe and France. Significantly, barely a day after their release, the headphones found themselves out of stock in the USA. The next availabilities are estimated for the end of May.
Our Google Pixel Buds 2 Review
While the version of Google Pixel Buds launched last year had been fairly disparaged, the 2020 version seems more accomplished. We were lucky to be able to Review the latest model of wireless headphones. Here are our first impressions of the Review we performed. Headphones that have little to envy to the best products on the market.
The visual appearance of Pixel Buds 2 is very neat
The Google Pixel Buds 2 headphones come with a wireless charging case, a USB-C to USB-A charging cable, three sets of tips, and a getting started guide. Several colors are available, we tested the white earphones. We note immediately that the design is neat and elegant while remaining discreet. The egg-shaped charging case is a bit heavy but is very well thought out with its tilted charging system and highlighting the heads of the earphones. We note the quality of the product with a rather strong matte plastic which should not make you fear for your headphones. A robust and aesthetic product therefore. Small flat however, it would seem that the case is sensitive to marks and scratches especially if you keep it in your pocket with keys for example.
In terms of aesthetics and design, it filled us. I also have to tell you that the case is perfectly ergonomic and functional. It simply has a small button behind for pairing for non-Android devices. When opening the case, you will see a small LED light that will indicate the battery status. Your headphones will be able to charge in their case after use.
Note that an IPX4 certification exists for these true wireless earphones guaranteeing protection in humid environments and therefore resistant to sweat. It’s the same level of protection as Apple’s AirPods Pro. However, we did not Review the headphones in a humid environment or during a sweaty exercise session. Visually therefore and in terms of product quality, the Google Pixel Buds 2 therefore have nothing to envy to the headphones of the apple brand or to those of Sony or Samsung.
Comfort and very pleasant fit
Many reproached a bad behavior in the ears of the first version of Google Pixel Buds. The American firm claims to have ” scanned thousands of ears to create a comfortable design for as many people as possible ” Thanks to two fins integrated into the earphone buttons, comfort is indeed there and the earphones have perfectly adapted to my ears. By lending the Pixel Buds to other people, everyone was satisfied with the comfort. So great satisfaction with their use, and no discomfort even after several hours of use.
Not only is wearing the wireless headphones comfortable, but they stayed securely in place even when I made sudden movements to check this point. The silicone tips truly create a waterproof seal that locks the earphones in the ear, despite the fact that it is easy to slip them into the ears. Even after wearing them for more than two hours a day, I didn’t feel any discomfort, pain or fatigue.
Use: controls not always perfect
Google Pixel Buds 2 includes touch and slide controls for managing calls and playing music. Google uses in-ear detection, which automatically cuts the music when you take the headphones off your ears. The headphones obviously integrate Google Assistant in particular to make hands-free options via voice commands.
Unfortunately, the controls are far from working perfectly. During my Review and on several occasions, the commands were not well understood and while I made the gesture of skipping a track, the headphones understood to play the previous one. Orders sometimes a little erratic therefore.
Pixel Buds 2 Sound Quality Review: Notable Audio Improvements
Google has listened to reviews of first-generation Pixel Buds audio. The American giant has therefore worked to improve the sound rendering and the result is convincing. Indeed, after testing different musical genres, it is clear that the rendering is very interesting. The midrange and treble are well reproduced. The bass is a little weak point, however. They are less well reproduced than on Apple AirPods but are nevertheless very acceptable. A positive result therefore, with real improvements compared to the previous version even if it could still be optimized at the bass level.
The Google Pixel Buds 2 offer an automatic adjustment of the sound according to the environment. During our tests, we noted this adaptation for example by increasing the sound if we approached a noisy TV or if someone is talking by your side. It was also notable in the street. Adaptation is not perfect but sufficient, however, to avoid auditory distractions and be able to continue listening to his favorite song without too much external embarrassment.
The quality of calls with Google Pixel Buds 2: big black spot?
I have repeatedly tested phone calls. Big surprise, the sound was extremely weak and my interlocutors almost couldn’t hear me. And isolation is a weak point of these Google Pixel Buds headphones. An unpleasant surprise that I did not expect. However the sound was at its maximum but the rendering was almost inaudible. I performed these tests in an environment that was however silent. Is it a big flaw in the headphones or just a manufacturing defect? We are waiting to Review a new pair and have other user feedback on it.
Easy bluetooth connectivity
Google’s Fast Pair technology lets you instantly pair your headphones to an Android device. The configuration is very fast. Things get tough on the other hand with an iOS product. Different features are not available and the configuration is tedious. Interest with an iPhone or Mac is therefore limited, the Pixel Buds 2 are clearly a product designed for the world of Google.
Conclusion of the Review: should you choose Google Pixel Buds 2?
Clearly, Google has used feedback on the first version of its wireless headphones to make some really welcome improvements. It is therefore a winning return from the American giant in the true wireless headset market. They clearly position themselves as a competitor to the Apple brand AirPods Pro and cannot be ashamed of the comparison. Elegant, practical, comfortable while offering interesting features.
A real advantage to note in addition, the Google Pixel Buds 2 offer the possibility of using Google live translation to be able to exchange with a foreign interlocutor for example. Very practical when traveling to assist you if necessary. The translation function can also be useful for translate series or films without French subtitles.
Small faults are however to be highlighted with the Google Pixel Buds 2 like the quality of the calls, the autonomy of the headphones or even the few bugs noted with the commands. A resolutely medium high-end product that well deserves the necessary investment of $ 179. I admit that I was won over by the product and remain confident in the Mountain View firm’s ability to eliminate the few remaining flaws in the next version of wireless headphones.
Buy them Google Pixel Buds 2 at the best price
These new headphones from Google are easy to use and users of the google assistant will be delighted. You will have to wait a few more weeks before you can buy them in Europe. In the USA, they were out of stock only 24 hours after their sale and the next replenishment is scheduled for late May 2020. Try to find it at amazon.
- [+] Integrate perfectly with the Google environment
- [+] A careful design and a robust product
- [+] Significantly improved sound
- [+] Attractive hands-free functions
- [+] Fast wireless charging
- [+] Intuitive features
- [+] Very comfortable to use and wear
- [+] Google Live Translation
- [-] We would have appreciated more autonomy
- [-] A case that can be easily scratched
- [-] Very poor call quality
- [-] Bugs in the commands
- [-] Average autonomy
AB SMART HEALTH REVIEW
Jabra Elite 75t Earbuds – True Wireless Earbuds with Charging Case, Gold Beige – Bluetooth Earbuds with a More Comfortable,...
- WIRELESS EARBUDS – Jabra Elite 75t is engineered to fit; Making and taking calls is always a great experience, wherever you are, thanks to enhanced 4-microphone call technology which filters out wind and other disruptive noises around you.
- COMPACT COMFORT – Designed and tested for a secure fit, the Jabra Elite 75t features a new smaller design that provides an ideal fit for every type of ear while the ergonomic shape makes them exceptionally comfortable
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ Plus, True Wireless Earbuds w/Improved Battery and Call Quality (Wireless Charging Case Included), (International Version) (White)
6 used from $45.34
- Exactly what you want to hear. Galaxy Buds+ are the perfect fitting earbuds to isolate you from distracting noises, so you can stay focused on what you want. And if you’d like to filter in some of the outside world to be more in-tune with your surroundings, you can switch on Ambient Aware2. Hear flight announcements, oncoming traffic or your order number while still enjoying your favorite playlist or podcast.
Jabra Elite 65t Earbuds – Alexa Built-In, True Wireless Earbuds with Charging Case, Titanium Black – Bluetooth Earbuds Engineered for...
15 used from $44.97
- True wireless earbuds – Conversations are made incredibly clear with the Jabra Elite 65t true wireless earbuds that are proven to deliver superior call performance. Plus, a long-lasting battery with charging case included keeps you connected all day.
- Take work calls from home – Incredible 4-microphone technology offers best-in-class call performance, with up to 15 hours of battery for maximum productivity— Even when you’re learning or working from home on your smartphone.
Sony WF-1000XM3 Industry Leading Noise Canceling Truly Wireless Earbuds Headset/Headphones with Alexa voice control and mic for phone call, Silver
23 used from $60.16
- Industry leading noise canceling with HD noise canceling processor QN1e
- 24bit Audio signal processing delivers dramatically improved sound quality
- Battery life up to 24 hours with carrying case (with 10min quick charge for 90min of play time)
- Easy and clear hands free calling; Leave your phone where it is, just speak with a double tap to the earbud
- Truly wireless design with uninterrupted L/R simultaneous Bluetooth transmission
- Immersive sound – Premium speaker drivers deliver crisp, dynamic audio. Bose Active Noise Reduction Technology and sealed in-ear design limits background noise.
- Hands-free with Alexa – Echo Buds work with the Alexa app to stream music, play Audible audiobooks, make calls, or get directions—just ask.
- Access other assistants – Supports access to Siri or Google Assistant from a supported device—just press and hold your earbud.